Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Seventh Seal

Four Approaches to Death

Karin:
With Serenity
"Quiet, quiet."
Corresponding Quote: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you." John 14:27





Antonius Block:
With Searching
"Out of our darkness we call to thee, O Lord!"
Corresponding Quote: "I believe; help thou in mine unbelief."  Mark 9:24


Girl:
With Anticipation
"It is finished."
Corresponding Quote: "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." 
Timothy 4:7


Jöns:
With Pragmaticism
"In the darkness where you say you are there is none to listen to our lament."
Corresponding Quote: "It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan



The film leaves me with the question, which one am I? Maybe, depending on the day, I've been each one of them. The Seventh Seal has been a very satisfying and thought provoking film and deserves nominations and awards sent its way.

2 comments:

  1. This was the first Ingmar Bergman film I saw, and I was unimpressed. A light meditation on death and not much else, is what I thought. But I understand there's a lot of humor I missed (as is often the case with me and Scandinavian humor) and I guess I missed the beautiful cinematography. I clearly need to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Thanks for the way you compiled this one, dividing it among the character's pictures. I didn't love the movie, but I did appreciate what I was able to pull from it. Seeing myself in each of these scenarios brought me a sense of peace about my vacillating nature. :)

    I'm guessing I missed a lot too!

    ReplyDelete