Wednesday, November 30, 2016

To Have and to Have Not

It passes the venetian blinds test, as well as the corrupt system one, but this movie is just too darn hot (and hopeful) to be a noir. The morality level is teetering on flag waiving, sans an impromptu La Marseillaise sing along and even though Bogart's Harry doesn't get to the point of sticking his neck out for the cause, he will to help a beautiful girl. And boy, are they steamy together. The undercurrents and the no-one's-fooling-anyone secret smiles are all there on display. I'm almost too shy to watch, because this first blush of romance shouldn't have to be shared with me.


So instead of two people who's avarice brings about their downfall, this bypasses noir, as together, the heat melts their hard shells and they become putty in each others hands. I'm not going to re-write that! 

My favorite line is when he kisses her back and she says, "It's even better when you help." :D  Who can I give credit to for that? 

Hemingway? 

Faulkner? 

Furthman? 

Whoever you are, bravo!

2 comments:

  1. I love this one, more than Maltese, and that's partly because Bogie isn't a ruffian in this film, but mostly because of Bacall. She slink and shimmies and maneuvers her way through the film, speaking in that husky growl. She's just so cool.

    Another reason for you to listen to You Must Remember This podcast! She tells the story of the real-life romance of Bogie and Bacall and it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Added! I'd watch any day over Maltese. Noir is something I can dabble in on occasion, but I'd much rather experience this story and I just can't categorize it as a noir. The characters are too easy to root for. :)

    ReplyDelete