Monday, November 16, 2015

Never Cry Wolf

I’m not sure how this Disney film flew under my radar. Few do, just by the nature of who I spend a great deal of time with. Never Cry Wolf was full of surprises; from masticated mice (just a moment while I tamp down my gag reflex…), marking territory, and bare tush shots (which has Touchstone following right behind  ). 

A very pleasant surprise was the actor Charles Martin Smith. He so fit the part, that I checked to see if he wrote it. Sure enough, he was one of the narration writers. I never felt that he was playing a part, because he was living and breathing his character, Farley Mowat. Not a surprise was Brian Dennehy in all his unhinged glory.

My favorite line was “I wonder why it was that long ago I became a watcher of things; always watching others do and feel things I wouldn’t or couldn’t do myself--always standing off at a distance isolated, detached.” Until I heard that, I was a little confused why someone would jump at the chance to take the assignment of forced isolation. Even though he questioned the decision, it was a condition he was familiar with.

At one point in the movie, Farley studies an Inuit watching the wolves. That was my experience exactly. I studied the man who watched the wolves and I was captivated.

2 comments:

  1. This is the film that made me realize that many of Disney's live action films were actually pretty great. The quality and entertainment value of this film was high and it made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both. Crying that is. :)

    ReplyDelete