Monday, November 9, 2015

Spirited Away: My Internal Struggle with Miyazaki


Perhaps it wasn’t a good idea to start with Ponyo. The universe looked like mine for a while, then all heck broke loose and I’m left watching a world I don’t understand. The reality shifts like sand as new and confusing characters take the stage. Why is there a long nosed wizard living under the ocean and why do his children look nothing like him? I was wowed and impressed, but consternated as well. Were there any consequences at all or would the artist just paint in a new creature to save the day? 

When My Neighbor Totoro came along, I was a little more prepared. But, Miyazaki played with my mind again as Totoro’s little mouth widened into an unsustainable gaposis. By the time the cat rolled around, I said, “Why not. Nothing surprises me anymore.”  

Next it was time for Princess Mononoke and by this time Miyazaki had worn me down. I kept telling my brain to just stop it and behave. There was something wonderful going on on screen and I didn’t want to miss it. 

Now Spirited Away; this was important. So I sat myself down and had a little conversation. It went something like this, 
“Listen, just because your puny little brain cannot comprehend the magnitude of the genius that is Miyazaki, doesn’t mean you’re going to waste time questioning everything. Just go with it. If a man-sized duck spirit wants to sit in a bathhouse with his friends, you’re going to accept it no questions asked.” 

Well, that little talking to worked, because it was a fantastic ride! I watched creatures that lived and breathed and smelled. I saw the evolution of Chihiro unfold before me; culminating in her courageous sacrifice to save Haku. It was a completely surprising and satisfying story.  


You win Miyazaki.


6 comments:

  1. At this point, I am so in love with Miyazaki and his imagination that I couldn't imagine ever having trouble with his films... but I did. My first exposure to him was Princess Mononoke, and I just didn't get it. It was too violent, too... weird. But once I saw other films by him and then revisited Mononoke and completely loved it. Miyazaki builds these ancient, foreign worlds and it takes time to adjust to his mindset. Once we do, then we can see his brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me feel so much better! :) Knowing Miyazaki was a process for you too, makes me very happy indeed! Spirited Away is a movie I would most love to watch with your family. Actually, it's the movie I'd like to watch your family watch. :) If that makes sense. One of my favorite things is to observe my kids as they are viewing something they love; to hear their laughter, or to see them reach that translike enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't want to watch Spirited Away with my family. We get all moon-eyed and we just love and praise everything. We get pretty sappy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sappy! That is exactly why watching this movie with your family, would be the greatest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, that bottom screenshot with Sen and the lampost bowing... the hopping lampost is supposed to represent Pixar with their hopping lamp. This is Miyazaki giving his respect to the American animation studio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! I had no idea! See, this is why I need to watch it with your family, so you can point out all that I'm missing. :)

    ReplyDelete