Friday, February 12, 2016

Another Year


Gardening is a chore—the weeds, the watering, and the waiting to taste that first tomato. But the law of the harvest is so much more than the final product (though that’s especially nice). It’s perceiving the movement of air, the feel of the soil, and the bending of muscle. When Gerri lifts her face to the sun and breathes in the moment, I know she understands.

Poor Mary trying to live off borrowed light. As the dinner party reminisces about the past, Mary is left “outside” looking in.  She recognizes the light and wants to bask in it, but it’s not hers and she’s unable or unwilling to create her own.

Pieces of Lou Reed’s song, “Perfect Day” kept playing in my head throughout the film.

You just keep me hanging on…

Just a perfect day
You make me forget myself
I thought I was someone else
Someone good

You're going to reap just what you sow…

4 comments:

  1. I have a terrible time ranking Mike Leigh films. Is Another Year my favorite? Or Vera Drake? Or Topsy-Turvy? His use of characterization in a community of actors is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to see Topsy-Turvy, but Another Year, really captured my heart. I love Tom and Gerri so much. My next favorite is Secrets & Lies. And then? Well, I can't decide between the others either!

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, Secrets and Lies. That is another amazing one. Top notch. I don't think I'll ever watch all of his films so I don't have to rank them.

    ReplyDelete