Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Epic Review of Silk Stockings

I watched Ninotchka a while ago and realized I had seen something similar many years before and hadn’t liked it very much. I don’t know if it’s because I now have the original film as a reference or if I’m more open, but I had a much more enjoyable viewing of Silk Stockings this time around. Notably, it is a perfect example of the best and worst musicals have to offer.
Worst

Caricature characters: This one goes to Peggy Dayton played by Janice Paige. She’s loud, uninteresting and if Paige pantomimed knocking water out of her ear one more time, I was going to hit her upside the head myself.

Dated songs: Ritz Roll and Rock wasn’t in the Broadway Play and shouldn’t have been in this film either. The choreography is messy and has Fred Astaire on the floor for much of it. The only redeeming quality is Astaire crushing his top hat symbolically signifying the end of his movie dancing career.

Banal Songs: We got the Red Blues has no more than 20 words and they’re stuck on repeat like a needle on a record. Cyd Charisse saves the day by keeping our minds off the words with her magic.

Awkward Performers: I love Peter Lorre, but he gets put here. I know it’s not fair to pigeon hole someone into type, but watching Lorre sing and dance throws me for a loop. He himself looks a little bemused as if to say, “look at me, I'm dancing!”  I was watching his face closely throughout the film and it really looked like he was having a very nice time and for that I’m happy for him.


Best

The Great Divide: “What keeps the lovers apart?” is the question and plot to all romance stories; the greater the divide the greater the story. What could be a better source of division than ideology; it’s almost impenetrable. Communist meets capitalist-- It worked in Ninotchka and it works here.

Memorable Songs: “Suggestive lyrics, clever rhymes and complex forms (Wiki)” are the trademarks of a Cole Porter song; and All of You hits everyone.  Hearing Fred Astaire sing the words, "The eyes, the arms, the mouth of you. The east, west, north and the south of you” is a little shocking and completely unforgettable.

Awe Inspiring Dancing: Fated to be Mated/All of You is performed by two of the greatest film dancers and marks an end of an era. There is one inexplicable aspect to the dance that I can’t figure out. For two small segments Charisse’s skirt is replaced with culottes. The cut and color are the same, so either they tried the dance both ways and the editors hoped no one would notice or the Hayes Code was in effect and required 2 of the shots be filmed in a split skirt. In this next picture, as they lunge back in hopes of catching the bar, I wonder if Astaire is saying to himself, "I'm getting too old for these pranks."

Another notable dance is during Red Blues. Again, Charisse is fantastic and the ensemble does very well filling in the Cinemascope sides.



Lead Characters: What can I say about Fred Astaire that hasn’t already been said in a hundred ways? He’s 57 years old in the film and there are only glimpses of him showing his age. When someone makes dancing look so effortless, there is a true artist at work. Cyd Charisse is the most unassuming of female leads. She never hogs the spotlight or demands greater attention, but she gets it by sheer talent alone. Her dancing is a triumph over polio as a child and her long, long legs and beautiful lines are impossible to improve upon. Because I enjoy these two performers so much, I wish I liked The Band Wagon, but Silk Stockings is a nice alternative.

1 comment:

  1. :) You called it epic! That's so sweet, thanks, Steve!

    ReplyDelete