Monday, February 22, 2016

New Moon

(ed. note: this is NOT a review of the film in the Twilight saga)

Six movies in and the plot gets pretty far-fetched for the Jeanette McDonald and Nelson Eddy team. 

Contrived grievances to keep them apart are irksome, but what can you do? I like Opera (with subtitles ), so the singing style doesn’t bother me... much. Jeanette’s clipped words and trilled “r”s get to me after a while and I find myself liking Nelson’s voice more. This is one of my favorite Nelson songs, "Stout Hearted Men"
It looks suspiciously like this clip from Babes in Arms which came out a year earlier. Check out the torches.
 

I wonder if the studio was called out for plagiarizing another film. Wait a minute. I need to check something…  Just as I suspected; they are both from MGM. Reusing props and choreography is their prerogative I guess--you can’t steal from yourself.

I enjoyed this enough and am familiar with their songs so I want to see all of their films eventually. Naughty Mariette is first solely because of this song.




New Moon has similarities to Captain Blood, so if you don’t want to be sung to, I’d highly recommend that one. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the links, Steve!!

    I might have put the wrong one for "Naughty Marietta." This is the song that is a must!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xpKeabZlEs

    ReplyDelete