Saturday, February 6, 2016

Sherlock Jr.

I put the writing of this review on the back burner for a long time because I’ve become somewhat sentimental towards Buster Keaton and am unable to separate the man from his work. 

The more I learn the more bitter-sweet his movies become. He uncompromisingly gave everything to a part and in the process put himself at extreme risk. Why did he do it? What compelled him to make those types of sacrifices? I don’t see in him an over-sized ego that says, “Look at me!” Instead I observe an unceasing drive to perform to please. His humility and resignation in his later work, especially In the Good Old Summertime and Film, are almost too much to look at.




Lest I forget what I’m here to do, Sherlock Jr. is a wonder! It appears that many other movies have taken little bits from it. Jacques Tati must have studied Sherlock Jr. well to help in creating some of his antics in Jour de fête and the writers of I Was a Male War Bride liked the motorcycle scene enough to use their own version of it. There were so many jaw dropping moments that I stopped the movie often to re-watch, just to be sure that what I saw really happened. Even so, my favorite part is the simple scene where Sherlock Jr. is taking romancing cues from an actor on screen. 

My hat’s off to you Mr. Keaton.


2 comments:

  1. One of the greatest films ever made. It is just as imaginative as it was when it was first released. Many people, including Woody Allen and others, have used cinema as the backdrop of their own fertile imaginations, but I have as yet to see a cinematic imagination as fertile or as funny as Keaton's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many have tried, but you're right, they've not topped this.

      Delete