Sunday, December 27, 2015

Of Human Bondage

Leslie Howard is Ashley Wilkes in my, branded as a child, mind. This movie, where he plays Philip Carey, could have very well solidified his getting that part. With his doe eyed stare that says, “walk all over me, I beg of you.” What a tortured beautiful man that I just want to rescue.

I’m not sure about the accent, but I can’t help enjoying everything I see Bette Davis do (except for Return to Witch Mountain). She is so raw and at one point has an all out tizzy fit, which left me slack jawed. 


There was a small detail that illustrated the turning point in the film that I really liked and I’ll call it: The rise and fall of Mildred’s polka dotted dress. As Mildred is having a triumphant moment, her dress, a gift from Philip, fits like a glove with ruffles for added flaunting, then at the beginning of the descent her dress has lost the ruffles, lost the bust support and the tag pokes up in back. And, as an accessory, Mildred wears a heavy spiky chain around her neck. 

I love stuff like that and I love this movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment