Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Through a Glass Darkly

I’m more than a little sheepish to say that this is the first complete IngmarBergman film that I’ve seen. Clips are not enough. This was powerful, earth shattering cinema. Before I saw it, I was told that it was a dark, despondent film. Not necessarily so. There was so much light bursting through at the end that I could barely gather it all in. It’s humanity at its most vulnerable and poignant.

When Karin went to the attic room, I wondered if the wallpaper was yellow. I couldn’t stop thinking about that wallpaper. Was Bergman referencing the unforgettable short story by Charlotte Perkins Gilman? Later, I read that the original Title of the film was The Wallpaper.  
Yes, there was a reason it had mesmerized me. 

Three things that I hope are not too spoilery: 

Karin was played so convincingly that for a moment I almost believed. I wanted everyone to leave her alone and let her have her vision. 

The boat scene used great restraint and all was unbearably revealed through stricken faces and postures. 

Best of all were the two humble unassuming sermons the father gave; first to his son-in-law and then to his son.



No comments:

Post a Comment