Sunday, September 25, 2016

Barton Fink

I have dreamed a dream, and my spirit was troubled to know the dream...because you see the thing is gone from me. *


Each line of dialogue in my head is audible, as is the cry of the fishy Mundt, "I'll show you the life of the mind!" 

But, watching the cursor blink on and off on this white screen, I'm at a loss. 

Do I love the film? Yes! 

Am I both disturbed and enthralled by it? Most definitely. 

Do I see all the explorations of high brow vs. low brow, Hollywood's machinations and writer's block as a type of hell? I think so. 

But, can I find a way to write anything about it? No, not really.


* Daniel 2:3,5


3 comments:

  1. Sandy, I was posting your older reviews in order, but after I swictched computers, I found it difficult to access your older files. I have them, I just haven't switched them to my new computer. So I'm posting more recent ones for now.

    Barton Fink is one of my favorites of the Coen Bros. It's somewhat mystifying-- is he in hell? Is hell in his mind? Is John Goodman the devil or just a misunderstood guy? Does Barton deserve all this? But I love the mystery. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your questions are my questions and I too embrace the mystery! Glad you love the film. This is also one of my favorite work I've seen from John Goodman.

    Would you like for me to send you the files again, to make it easier? Old or new, having you post my reviews is such a treat!

    ReplyDelete