Sunday, September 25, 2016

Gone with the Wind

The second half spends very little time on the war, because the story is ready to move onto the Reconstruction era and the continuing soap opera that is Scarlet's life. She would have it no other way, so the rest of the characters and the audience endure her pouts and schemes as she orchestrates her whims to a fevered pitch. As much as I loath her character, there is something to say for tenacity. 

Just think what she could have accomplished with a conscience.


As for the war and wanting to understand this time period better, I believe there is much to glean from GwtW, even with its soft sell of the South. Brotherhood and honor abound and war may start out with grand ideals on each side, but in the end, the broken, defeated men lament what it was all about. 

What again were they fighting for? Oh yeah, Tara. dirt.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this one since I was in high school, on a small color TV. I don't remember much, but I recall two things. I thought Scarlett was a jerk, and while she became a better worker, I agreed with Rhett's final line and sentiment. I wondered why this was one of the greatest, most popular films of all time. It still mystifies me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably a combination of so many things, actors, spectacle, music, timing... It sure is a behemoth. Wiki quote -- "When adjusted for monetary inflation, it is still the most successful film in box-office history."

    I'm with you about Scarlett. Such a jerk.

    ReplyDelete