Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Crossroads (1986)

One of my first R rated movies and also one of the last, for a long time. Coming from a fairly restricted upbringing, I turned this movie into a type of crossroads of my own. I wore out the soundtrack cassette, infusing into me as much individuality and revolution as I could muster at the time. 

Take chances, follow your passion, get hurt and use it to deepen emotions... These things I held onto in my young mind and used them to the best of my ability. Watching the movie again so many years later, those lessons are still there and again I take them in through the music. There's something magical about revisiting musical milestones.

side note: I just read that Steve Vai's musical awakening came from the West Side Story Soundtrack! That soundtrack was my musical awakening too and the first album I ever bought. Too bad I didn't pick up a guitar...

2 comments:

  1. Been a while since I've seen this, and it seemed like a pretty straightforward retelling of the blues myth, with The Devil Went Down to Georgia thrown in. The guitar work was beautiful and I was tempted to get the soundtrack. Never did, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowadays, it's free. :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXGouQygi4Y

    ReplyDelete