Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Serious Man

Seriously?! 

I'm supposed to come up with words about this thing?! 

Well, ...it's modern Job lite, where physics are thwarted by fate and all the "experts" aren't going to give Larry straight answers, so he might as well make up his own mind about his problems and get on with it, otherwise others will continue to make it for him. Being nice is nice, but being perpetually acquiescent is not. It's hard enough with the things we have no control over, but to hand over control when we don't have to, is basically handing over life. hmm. I think I just gave myself a pep talk. :) 

Sometimes the answer really does come from oneself! Oh, and Minda is right. The answer also comes from the members of the Airplane... "you better find somebody to love."


5 comments:

  1. :D

    What a great song to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sang it in church last weekend!

    A Serious Man is the first Coens Bros film I really took seriously because the existentialist message was so clear. It began to open up my thoughts about the philosophical standpoint in all Coen Bros films, and I realized that there is a central theme of evil often being inaction or laziness, while good takes a decisive action. Even in No Country for Old Men, the most evil man depends on a coin to make his decisions for him, he isn't making moral choices himself.

    But I think A Serious Man is really funny and really serious. A powerful statement of making a stand for love, even if no one really does that in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your church's hymns! :D

    Great insight. Evil sure can be lazy. On a similar note, I just read that fear can be a form of laziness too. What we fear, might just be because we don't want the extra work involved. For me this is true.

    I'd like to hear more about "making a stand for love." Did you write a review?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I wrote a review, but I can't find it. Here is a comparison I wrote between Inside Llewyn Davis and A Serious Man: http://bloggingmoviesrus.blogspot.com/2014/03/llewyn-davis-serious-man.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that! I still remember you writing about the difference between love and LOVE and have thought about it a lot, wanting to understand it better. My wish is to find a way to Love without falling into the lesser forms of it. I need a class on this. :)

      I forgot to thank you for the links. You make my sometimes opaque reviews comprehensible.:)

      Delete