Sunday, October 23, 2016

I was Born, But....

There’s nothing like a movie of this caliber to accordion down the decades so there is no distance between 1932 and this moment. All in the film is recognizable and relevant. The children and parents feel as real as if I’m watching home movies from a beautiful Criterion camera. The quality is stunning and when I get to a brief moment of less than pristine viewing, I sort of wonder if they left a remnant in just to show what a feat of preservation it was.

I Was Born, But… is an avenue for reflection. I remember the first time one of my children didn’t think I was cool anymore, and then the next, and the next... It’s a wave of regret and despair and then recognition that I wasn’t ever really cool to begin with and it isn’t necessarily my job anyway. After their disappointment, they find I’m other things and we move forward. Contemplating comes easily while watching Chichi Yoshi navigate his way through the occupation of being a father as well as an employee.

I give the championship synchronized temper tantrum of Keiji and Ryoichi a 9.5 out of 10. Well done boys. They’re in-tandem movements throughout the film fascinate and delight me as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment