Sunday, June 19, 2016

State Fair (1945)

Last summer, I took my kids to the state fair to hear my brother's high school jazz band perform. Because we were there at the tail end of the fair's run, withered rows of produce and resigned livestock failed to capture any of our enthusiasm. Outside, it started to rain so we hurried past the dingy food carts of deep fried Coke and bacon wrapped bacon to wait it out under the awning of a ticket booth. Upon finding out the exorbitant prices for the rides, I put our options to the vote. Unanimously, we chose to go to a Chinese restaurant instead. Goodbye fair, we won't be back. Egg foo young wins out again.

It's fortunate that I hadn't shown them State Fair before our foray. Instead of everyone being mildly disappointed, I could have had a full revolt on my hands. For what State Fair does best is paint a very pretty picture of an impossibly perfect celebration. Reality can never measure up. That's sort of the point of a folk musical; to bring people back to a simpler time through a memory of myth. The good ole' days shouldn't be scrutinized to closely when musical escapism is afoot. In every aspect, this film fits the folk musical mold: family centric, ritualistic and cyclic (day, season, life).

Unfortunately, these elements created a dreadfully dull second half. I couldn't care less if the pig won the prize or if the homemade pickles got a ribbon. After a certain point the only thing keeping me involved was Dana Andrews. Sigh. This is him below. Get a load of the suit and dress--I didn't see anything like that on my outing. Also of note, this is the cutest scene in the film--the highlight for me.




This is the brother and he's a schmuck. I won't get into his story, which I disliked the whole of, but suffice it to say he is one. But, along side him is the wonderful Harry Morgan--another highlight.









I stopped the film for a few minutes so I could study this campsight. Can you imagine such a perfect set up? Cordoned of private space with an outdoor kitchen and a token tent for those that want to rough it. Each of their meals was on dinnerware, with linens. I didn't think the mom would ever get a chance to enjoy the fair, but the prop people took care of everything and she was able to have a fine time.



Some memorable songs, Jeanne Crain and, of course, Dana Andrews keep me from giving away the DVD. And, it's a sight better than the 1962 version.

No comments:

Post a Comment