Thursday, September 10, 2015

My Favorite Film: Pride and Prejudice (2005)

I love costume dramas in general because the beautifully spoken dialogue is delicious and I can't get enough of it. My favorite movie provides this and oh so much more. 


Every scene is a painting. The tracking shots are moving landscapes bathed in light and color. Each tree and vista is carefully chosen and then captured at the ideal moment. My breath still catches even after repeated viewings. 




But, back to the dialogue--can anything be more perfect than Brenda Blethyn and Tom Hollander quietly conspiring about the future of Keira Knightly’s Elizabeth? Actually the answer is yes, when she so painfully and sublimely rebukes that plan


The crowning glory of this feast for eyes and ears is Darcy. Here is no peacock, but a socially-uncomfortableman. Matthew Macfadyen brings a new and fresh take on an iconic character.


"You still love us so, Sandy?"

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I still love you P&P. Never doubt it!

    Love your links, Steve! How can I not love this film? :)

    I just wrote love four times!

    ReplyDelete