Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

Yowza Bill! I just got a great big dose of film history today. Thanks for sending me to Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

At first, I thought, “This is crazy town!” And then I remembered it was a Murnau film. As soon as I realized I was looking through the lens of Expressionism, I was able to really appreciate what I was watching. The angles and shadows were terrific. The “in the camera” work of superimposing provided some of the best scenes. The minimal use of inter title cards was perfect and I absolutely was in awe of the Movietones soundtrack. Unfortunately, the film was a product of bad timing. Because it opened a month after The Jazz Singer, its groundbreaking system was overshadowed by the first talkie.

Would ya look at this:




and this:

and THIS:


Just look at it!   I mean, really, go see the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment