Monday, September 7, 2015

The Passion of Joan of Arc

There is an interesting phenomenon that happens when I watch silent films. The pacing and lack of verbal stimuli create a lot of space in my mind to wander. And wander it does. In the case of The Passion of Joan of Arc, I jotted down a small sampling of my meanderings:

*The cameraman is having a good time; over the shoulder, extreme close-ups, quirky angles, upside down!

*Maria Falconetti is a good crier. Are the tears real or glycerin? They must be real. They develop and drop right on cue. From what depths is she conjuring them? Over and over they fall. She must be emotionally exhausted.

*1431/1928/2011 Does it really matter? All of the elements are the same: fear, power, brutality, resignation. To consider the past as passé, is to not understand that what was, is.

*The movie is going to show me everything. I’m sick and sad, but just as with Night and Fog, I tell myself to not look away. There is something here to learn and never forget.

Thank you Clovis8, the viewing was long overdue.







3 comments:

  1. Such perfect screenshots, Steve. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of the benefit of not writing your blog, is I get to play with the look some. My favorite part is Joan emoting with her eyes just barely not looking at us, but we receive the full impact of her emotions. I could watch this film over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make a good team then. :) I can write about her tears, but they need to be seen to be truly felt.

    ReplyDelete