Thursday, September 10, 2015

My Least Favorite Film: The Gods Must Be Crazy

I tried to watch this entire movie, really I did. 

Actually that is a complete lie. 


I have such a knee-jerk nauseous reaction to this movie that if I walk into the room and hear the condescending narration, I do an about face and march in the opposite direction. It starts out as a self important documentary with cloying music, much like an episode of Knight Rider. Then it points to itself and says “Oh the cleverness of me!” 


But wait, there’s more. Just in case the viewer might miss the cleverness, the narrator describes it in complete detail while it is happening. The film is insulting to the viewer and to the participants and makes me want to go on a long journey to throw it over a precipice.

9 comments:

  1. Okay, comedy is subjective, and all, but on this film we must depart ways. It is in my top lists, and not only is it one of my favorites, but a favorite of my whole family.

    Yes, the narration is condescending. It is supposed to, in parts, be a narration of a documentary. Part of the funny of the narration is how unreliable it is. Many of the "facts" are absolutely untrue, yet it is being presented as, well, fact.

    My family has two favorite parts of the film:

    a. The physical comedy, aka the slapstick, is hilarious. My favorite part is when the lead is trying to explain how he feels about the schoolteacher and he keeps knocking a bottle off of the table. It keeps going and it's still funny. Chaplinesque.

    b. The cultural misunderstandings. I live with cultural misunderstandings in my everyday life, and I have for a long time. It's great to sit back, watch someone else be a total ass and I get to laugh at them.

    Don't feel bad, though, Sandy. Martin Teller hates this film too. You're in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PZimPUMbH0

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D

    I thought you might just pass on by this review! But you posted it! And, with an excellent rejoinder. You are in good company too, because me parents think it's the funniest thing. :) Cute clip - Ay, yi, YI!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Steve! I just read the label you gave this for me. Awful. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am saddened by the fact that this is your most read post on this blog. :(

    As far as the label, am I reflecting your opinion, or giving my opinion? Who's to say? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering if you were using the word both ways. It truly is awful that I'm not on board with one of your favorite movies!

    You can see how many times a post is read? We have readers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure. This one's been read almost 50 times. We usually get just a few to start with, and over time there are more readers. Thus far, this blog has gotten more than 2000 hits. Not a lot, but certainly more people reading your stuff than not having it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2000! To me, that is a very big number. :) Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete