Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Films by My Most and Least Favorite Directors

The Best: Frank Capra-It Happened One Night


Ahh, sweet Capra-corn. 

I eat this stuff up. The goodness of humanity, the rewards of hard work and the blessings of selflessness are all themes that resonate with me. 


It Happened One Night combines them and adds in clever dialogue and real emotional weight. I care about the characters here as well as in his other films. Even thought I know how each story will probably end, somehow I'm still eager to find out. 

Truly this day's challenge of choosing a single director was impossible, so I went with the director that makes me consistently happy.



* * *


The Worst: Ed Wood- Plan 9 From Outer Space

Flying Saucers made from plates, wobbling tombstones, pillows seen for falling stunts, cue card reading priests, it's day-no it's night- no it's day, X’s marked on the floor for scene blocking—have some respect for the craft, man!

Because it is beyond bad, it does make for a fun movie night.

2 comments:

  1. Every viewing of Plan 9 should be a double feature-- ending with the Tim Burton film Ed Wood. He alone perfectly appreciates the perfection of the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    I haven't seen Ed Wood. I'm sure it is a great tribute.

    ReplyDelete