Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Gold Rush

Finally. From start to finish, all the pieces have been put in their rightful order. Have I ever seen so much of a movie without having seen it? I can’t think of one; but Rocky Horror Picture Show must be the distant second.


First of all, it’s slow. So, if you’re not in a hurry, there's a “gold mine” of chuckle worthy moments. I’m still smiling over Chaplin twirling the shoe laces, picking the nail “bones” clean and maneuvering around the dog on the dance floor.

Next, it would be interesting to compile all the comedy it inspired in subsequent films—how many wind shenanigans, how many tipping houses? I also wonder how many times Mr. Depp had to watch the Oceana Roll to master it for Benny and Joon.




2 comments:

  1. The Gold Rush is quite entertaining, but I never found it to be as good as Modern Times or City Lights which has an emotional depth as well as a comedic spark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I like those more too and City Lights has a secure place in my top 100. :)

    ReplyDelete