Thursday, October 22, 2015

Le fils (The Son)

This movie asks me to explore the capacity of the human heart. 

There are no directions or explanations, just the camera following closely, frenetically, almost afraid to miss something. I'm carried alongside, observing. 

In the end, without knowing the how, I am satisfied with what can be. It such a simply told story, but then again, not at all. 

I don't know anything about Olivier Gourmet (I do like his name!), but I'm not sure how many other actors could believably pull this off. 

2 comments:

  1. This is my first Dardanne Brother's film, and it was a revelation. I believe them to be the truest Christian directors working today. This movie on the power of forgiveness and others that speak of sacrifice and charity are just powerful. The films are so quiet to be almost boring, but there is an undercurrent of moral power that is worth it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I hadn't even thought of them as Christian directors, but of course! No wonder the two I've seen (The Kid with a Bike is the other) have made such an impact. You express what it's all about so well, you should be a writer! ;) Thanks for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete