Saturday, October 10, 2015

My Guilty Pleasure: Strictly Ballroom

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived.

A slight tongue twister or a profound mantra? I would argue that it is a bit of both. 

The movie is so silly and over the top and it is a powerful lesson on nonconformity. Scott wants to dance like no one else. His creativity bubbles up inside him, but has no support. Fran sees his genius, but no one sees her. 

Together they tear down all the walls including his perceptions and her self doubt and then--
they fly!


4 comments:

  1. Sandy just convinced me to watch this film, and I have to admit that I wasn't that impressed with it, but I love the main point she makes here. But before I watched it, I didn't know it was Australian, nor that it was directed by Baz Luhrmann who also directed one of my favorites, Moulin Rogue! And I just found that that the director considered Strictly Ballroom as part of his Red Curtain Trilogy, which includes Moulin Rogue and Romeo + Juliet. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that Moulin Rouge was one of your favorites!! So great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this movie!! I grew up watching it with cousins and after watching, we'd always go outside and start dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayley!!

    I miss you so! Why does it not surprise me that you love Strictly Ballroom? :)

    ReplyDelete